So today I was swimming (in my sportkini) with swimmers who are lifeguards and past swimmers (most now fireman).
Whoah, these guys are hardcore.
And might I say, what an awesome and humbling experience to swim with these guys...not many under 30...yup, mostly late 30's, 40's and up. I find that impressive.
Why I am impressed? It is because they chose a lifestyle of fitness, and not only chose it, but have remained dedicated to it. I started going down to this pool to swim with these guys when I was 24...it is now 15 years later, and they are still cranking out sets and an amazing workout.
There is another essence about this group that I also find refreshing, no egos. Yup, you read that right! These guys are faster then faster, pump out great workouts (a few gals I might ad) and then they go about their lives...making their livings, fatherhood and the lot. None of them seem to do it to boast how gnarly they are, or fast they are still swimming despite high school and college were long ago...they just do it.
It is like the secret workout, and I am humbled to join in, and try my best to keep up, chase them down and get a killer workout myself.
Isn't it great when you can appreciate workout partners who, sometimes they don't even know it, by them just being themselves helps you to stay motivated and step up?
Right on!
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
workouts to push you
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Great posting! I actually got to swim with these guys today and you're on about the non-ego part. Everyone holds their ground and supports each other... and they want you to come back! Talk about sportsmanship, being humble and living life.
Post a Comment